since people are upset with the NYPost article…

“With today’s guilty plea, Mr. Mangione has accepted full responsibility for the death of Brian Thompson,” Karen Friedman Agnifilo, Mangione’s attorney, said during a press conference outside the courthouse.

“On the morning of Dec. 4, 2024, I shot Mr. Thompson in Manhattan, and he died,” Mangione told the court, according to The Associated Press.

    • infinitesunrise@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      11
      ·
      4 days ago

      He’s not facing a life sentence, I think they’re seeking 25 years. Which is still rather insane for a first offense, even homicide.

      • kikutwo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        7
        ·
        4 days ago

        Mangione, 28, previously pleaded not guilty in April ⁠2025 to murder, weapons and stalking charges brought by Manhattan federal prosecutors, but U.S. District Judge Margaret Garnett threw out the murder and weapons charges over legal technicalities in a January ruling, leaving two stalking charges in places.

        That ruling eliminated the possibility that Mangione would face the death penalty, ‌though he still faces a possible sentence of life without parole if convicted on two charges: interstate stalking resulting in death and stalking through use of interstate facilities resulting in death.

    • tidderuuf@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      7
      ·
      4 days ago

      That’s what the judge kept pointing out to him and he said he understood that he could have consecutive life sentences.

      We don’t know a lot of the details behind the scenes by the defense and fed/state prosecutors there could be more coming out.